Thursday, September 14, 2006

Sustaining Innovation in larger firms

Let's face it - innovation is easy in an entrepreneurial firm. After all, an entrepreneur seeks to upset the status quo and has nothing to defend. A large firm has established products and services, and first seeks to defend its market share and customers. This fact is one of the reasons that large firms struggle to innovate consistently - they are playing defense rather than offense.

In this post I'd like to consider a couple of different innovation approaches that larger firms are taking in order to keep the innovation edge. The approaches are:

- Skunkworks
- Innovation teams
- Innovation Center of Excellence
- The Thermo-Electron approach
- Buying innovative ideas from smaller competitors

My bias going in is that the smaller the organizational structure and the less it believes it has to defend, the more likely the organization is to create and produce new innovations. Also, the more management attention and focus on innovation, and the less on quarterly results and other distracting factors, means more innovation.

Skunkworks

Made famous by Lockheed, a skunkworks is a secret team in a secret location working on a secret project. This approach is used when the concepts are secret necessarily (ie Government Research) or when the ideas are radical and the CEO is afraid the culture might kill the concept before it gets a chance. A skunk works demonstrates that the CEO is serious about innovation, but also generally indicates that he or she is afraid that the culture will expel the innovation quickly. A skunk works isn't really scalable so it does not necessarily lead to consistent improvements in innovation - rather it indicates that there are clearly two types of people in the firm - those the CEO thinks can innovate (a very small team) and those not trusted to do so.

Innovation Teams

An innovation team is formed when a business unit or product team determines they need something new. Most innovation teams are formed, live and then broken apart once a new product or service is launched. They live a short life and birth one or a couple of products. They differ from a skunk works in that they do their work in the open, and their ideas and products are recognized by the rest of the organization. An innovation team often does not receive the funding or tools that a skunk works provides, and uses what is at hand to get their innovations done so they can get back to their "real jobs". Again, there's not a lot of institutional learning in a temporary innovation team, and few processes and tools are captured for reuse.

Innovation Center of Excellence

Remember when the CoE was a real focus. Every firm needed a Center of Excellence for virtually any process or business function. Many firms are beginning an innovation Center of Excellence for innovation. In one sense, I think this is a great idea. If the center of excellence can become the librarian of the processes and tools and approaches that have been used before, innovation teams will be able to reap the benefits of knowledge generated previously. If an innovation Center of Excellence can provide tools and processes to teams, even better. However, an Innovation Center of Excellence cannot become the final arbiter or generator of ideas or be the only judge and jury for ideas. Centralizing the knowledge is valuable - centralizing the generation and evaluation of ideas is risky.

Thermo-Electron

Thermo-Electron is a firm that attempted to keep its teams small. As a new innovation grew, it would form a new company focused on just that new innovation. In this manner they attempted to stay focused on innovation and rapid growth by creating small companies that lived under the Thermo-Electron umbrella. I don't know if Thermo-Electron still retains that concept, but what was great about it was that a new product or service quickly became a new company without the overhead or need to defend old turf. In this way Thermo-Electron became a holding company with lots of smaller firms underneath it. Obviously the challenge is to manage a large portfolio organization, but it is a viable alternative.

Buying Innovation

Let's face it - larger firms are recognizing that they simply cannot keep up with consumer demands in a global economy. There is simply too much innovation, too much science happening in India, China, Brazil, Europe...you get the point. Larger pharmaceutical firms and some consumer packaged goods firms have recognized this and shifted some of their innovation focus to "business development" - which means scouting and finding new technologies and products that small firms have created but don't have the marketing heft to get it to a large customer base. This places the risk on people (enterpreneurs) who are inherently ready to accept it and lets the larger firm defend its existing market position and quickly bring new products to market with little risk or investment. Frankly, this may be the best approach for larger organizations until and unless they are ready to make internal innovation important and urgent. There are just too many smaller firms and competitors in many locations willing to attack large existing markets - and larger firms have honed their capabilities to retain existing customers, not fight for new ones with new products.

Of course there are hybrids. Many firms are using a Center of Excellence model combined with a business development model to sustain innovation. Many large firms have recognized that innovation is a key ingredient to organic growth and are attempting to re-introduce the original entrepreneurialism that the firms were founded on, but the pressures of quarterly results and competitive threats are too great to keep management attention for long. What we need in a large firm is a startup's mentality and fearlessness connected to a large firm's marketing and distribution capability.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Jeffrey Phillips at 5:18 AM

31 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those approaches can work to a certain extent, but I think the problem comes before that stage. Large organizations were not built to innovate but rather to be efficient. In the future we will need to completely restructure them if we want them sustain innovation over the long term.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing is generally true about large firms...they have enough slack..

They are run by operational excellence whip wielders...who would love to use the innovative folks, but the two live in different planets...Net: Possibility is rich...probability poor...

8:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Read the book Fast Second... it provides an alternative to the conventional wisdom you describe, Jeff. I commented on the book about a month ago, so I won't repeat it here :)

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW...!!! LOOK OUT... Hi my friends! I'm writing to you because I just came across a business that I think has great potential. It lets you save money on almost everything. Make money from almost everything, Including home loans- plus... help lower your taxes--best of all--it requires absolutely no investment. I thought you might be interested and like to check it out...

Here I have a proven system site/blog. It successfully covers proven system related stuff and almost everything else!

Come and check it out if you get time, Scott.

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Harga Jual Blackberry iPhone Laptop Murah said...

Harga Jual Blackberry iPhone Laptop Murah - Those approaches can work to a certain extent, but I think the problem comes before that stage. Large organizations were not built to innovate but rather to be efficient. In the future we will need to completely restructure them if we want them sustain innovation over the long term.

By: Harga Jual Blackberry iPhone Laptop Murah

See my post: Harga Jual Blackberry iPhone Laptop Murah

2:20 AM  
Anonymous smoking risks said...

After I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the identical comment. Is there any manner you can remove me from that service? Thanks

7:51 PM  
Anonymous smoking when pregnant said...

Congratulations for the excellent blog posting! I discovered your post really attention-grabbing, I believe you’re a clever writer. I add on your blog to my bookmarks and can return inside the long term. I wish to encourage you to proceed that marvelous operate, have a great day!

7:51 PM  
Anonymous stop smoking medication said...

wow. finally, I found something useful for my paper to write down about. this is fascinating and helps me with more analysis in the future. Glad I discovered this blog.Thank you. And I do hope you'll increase some of your ideas about this matter and I will sure come again and read it. Thanks for the hassle and time.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous how to stop smoking said...

Most likely probably the most helpful as well as up-to-date information I came across on this topic. I am certain lucky that I saw your article by chance. I’ll be subscribing to your own rss feed so that I can have the latest posts. Take pleasure in all the things here.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous stop smoking drugs said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and needed to say that I have really enjoyed studying your weblog posts.Any means Ailing be subscribing to your feed and I hope you submit again soon.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous how to quit smoking said...

What an ridiculous assortment of nicely carried out articles, it seems like now-a-days everyone seems to be just copy/pasting and stealing content material all the time, but I assume there's still hope in honest blogging.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous home remedy for sinus infection said...

proIn all probability essentially the most helpful in addition to up-to-date info I got here across on this topic. I'm sure lucky that I saw your article by chance. I’ll be subscribing to your individual rss feed in order that I can have the newest posts. Enjoy all the things here.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous lower back pain exercises said...

In all probability essentially the most helpful in addition to up-to-date info I got here across on this topic. I'm sure lucky that I saw your article by chance. I’ll be subscribing to your individual rss feed in order that I can have the newest posts. Enjoy all the things here.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous stop excessive sweating said...

Its Pleasure to go through your weblog.The above content articles may be very excellent, and I genuinely enjoyed studying your weblog and points which you expressed. I take pleasure in to appear back on the usual foundation,publish far more in regards to the topic.Thanks for sharing…maintain writing!!!

8:00 PM  
Anonymous stop excessive sweating said...

Hi Webmaster, commenters and all people else !!! The blog was completely incredible! Numerous great data and inspiration, both of which we all need!Preserve ‘em coming… you all do such an amazing job at such Ideas… can’t inform you how much I, for one recognize all you do!

10:45 PM  
Anonymous natural hemorrhoids treatment said...

Hi Webmaster, commenters and all people else !!! The blog was completely incredible! Numerous great data and inspiration, both of which we all need!Preserve ‘em coming… you all do such an amazing job at such Ideas… can’t inform you how much I, for one recognize all you do!

10:45 PM  
Anonymous tendonitis exercise said...

Thanks quite a bit for show somewhat beneficial informations. Your web site is great.I am impressed by the information that you've got on this blog. It shows how very effectively you notice this subject. Bookmarked this process net page, will arrive again again for a lot more. You, my buddy, wonderful! I discovered just the info I previously regarded for everywhere and just could not come across. What a ultimate web site. Similar to this web site your website is one among my new favorite.I comparable to this data shown and it has given me some kind of motivation to have accomplishment for some cause, so maintain up the helpful work!

10:45 PM  
Anonymous insomnia cures said...

I’ve been browsing on-line rather more than three hours today, nevertheless I don’t ever discovered any appealing posting like your site. It’s pretty price enough for me. In my opinion, if most of site owners and other people produced nice content material material as you do, the online will likely be a lot far more useful than ever before.

10:46 PM  
Anonymous christinetjan said...

that is right, doing innovation in larger firms will be more difficult

1:49 AM  
Anonymous cure hemorrhoids naturally said...

Life is very joyful, but it lacks form. It's the aim of art to give it some.

3:17 AM  
Anonymous konsultan perusahaan said...

I think people fear idea management and innovation because there's a significant number of ideas that simply won't plan out.......Nice statement.....keep posting

10:44 PM  
Anonymous belajar internet marketing said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous parcel lebaran said...

I think that this post is one of the best that i have read in my life, congrats you did a great job,.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous delayed orgasm said...

the difference between the content spammers and most corporate innovators is that the smaller

10:45 PM  
Anonymous how to avoid premature ejaculation said...

I'm writing to you because I just came across a business that I think has great potential. It lets you save money on almost everything. Make money from almost everything,

10:45 PM  
Anonymous konsultan seo said...

If growth is important to a firm, and if growth is dependent on offering existing products and services to new customers

10:45 PM  
Anonymous tabungan pendidikan said...

innovation is very natural and happens in the "real world" as new plants and animals colonize new ecological niches.

10:45 PM  
Anonymous mengecilkan perut said...

I wonder how you got so good. This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can get into. One thing I just want to say is that your Blog is so perfect

10:45 PM  
Anonymous how to teach dogs tricks said...

We generally think most specifically about the risk associated with a new product introduction

10:46 PM  
Anonymous easy way to get pregnant said...

I would be aware that as somebody who really doesn’t comment to blogs a lot (in actual fact, this may be my first put up), I don’t think the time period “lurker” is very flattering to a non-posting reader.

10:46 PM  
Anonymous stop pre ejaculation said...

Thanks a lot for this time sharing of innovation about SUSTAINING INNOVATION IN LARGER FIRMS. This is really the best website about innovation i have ever read.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home