Friday, September 18, 2009

Choosing the pace of innovation

I've invented another theorem or "law" of innovation, which suggests that the speed of innovation is inversely proportional to the kinds of innovations you create. If your team creates incremental innovations, then the pace of innovation must be high, and the pipeline kept full. If your team creates disruptive innovations, then the pace can be much slower, with perhaps fewer ideas in the pipeline. This is predicated on a number of assumptions:

The first assumption is that if you are satisfied with incremental innovations, that you understand that those are easy to copy and will have a short "shelf life". Betting on incremental innovation means that once you climb on the treadmill, you'll need to remain on the treadmill. Once you stop the incremental innovation, other firms are bound to continue and you'll lag behind. The implication is that you need to keep a continuous flow of ideas that can be cranked out quickly, as the older innovations become market standards and then commodities.

The second assumption is that you'll need more ideas if the concepts are incremental rather than disruptive. This is because no matter how smart your team is, there are a number of other smart people in your industry, and in the adjacent industries, who are likely to notice the same near term opportunities. You can't be on being the only firm that notices an incremental opportunity, so you'll need to keep a number of them active in case someone beats you to the punch. It's less likely to see a number of firms working on the same disruptive ideas, since the complexity around forecasting the trends in the market and customer needs and wants can be much higher. Therefore, you may not need as many disruptive ideas since there's less chance of duplication. The flip side of that argument also means that there's a greater chance of guessing wrong. You may be innovating in a space where firms have decided there's no opportunity, and they are right and you are wrong.

The third and most important assumption is that disruptive innovations have a longer shelf life. If that is true, then the pace of release of new disruptions can be much lower than if the ideas are incremental. If you consider a firm that has disrupted the market, typically a real disruption can maintain market leadership for several years, while an incremental innovation may remain distinct for six or eight months at best. Since replacements cannot come online as fast to match or replace a disruptive idea, your pace of development of disruptive ideas can be more methodical, more measured. In fact, it is probably in a leader's interest to be more methodical, because a firm that is successfully innovating as a disrupter is often only competing with itself.

In reality, few firms can afford to choose one approach or the other - they need both incremental and disruptive innovation. What we can argue is that the pace of both programs can differ, while the tools and methods remain the same.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Jeffrey Phillips at 1:51 PM

12 Comments:

Anonymous Rooney said...

While people may have different views still good things should always be appreciated. Yours is a nice blog. Liked it!!!

3:06 AM  
Anonymous acid reflux foods said...

I've been looking good details about this subject for some time and I gotta say you publish provides me some normal concept about my paper I am gonna write for my assignment. I would really like copy a few of your phrases here and I hope you don't mind. Thanks. I will reference your work of course. Thank you.Hold updating the nice posts. will come back.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous yeast infection treatment said...

I've been looking good details about this subject for some time and I gotta say you publish provides me some normal concept about my paper I am gonna write for my assignment. I would really like copy a few of your phrases here and I hope you don't mind. Thanks. I will reference your work of course. Thank you.Hold updating the nice posts. will come back.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous constipation in pregnancy said...

Hey, maybe this can be a bit offf matter but in any case, I've been surfing about your weblog and it seems really neat. impassioned about your writing. I'm creating a new weblog and exhausting-pressed to make it seem nice, and provide excellent articles. I've discovered so much on your website and I look forward to additional updates and can be back.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous cellulite reduction said...

Hey, possibly it is a bit offf matter however in any case, I've been surfing about your blog and it seems actually neat. impassioned about your writing. I am creating a brand new weblog and laborious-pressed to make it appear great, and supply glorious articles. I have found so much on your web site and I look ahead to extra updates and might be back.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous stop snoring mouth piece said...

Greetings everyone, This webpage is excellent and so is how the matter was expanded. I like some of the comments as effectively though I would favor all of us keep it on topic so as add worth to the subject. It will be additionally encouraging to the writer if all of us might share it (for a few of us who use bookmarking companies resembling a digg, twitter,..).

5:35 PM  
Anonymous low cholesterol diet said...

Hello, my group is just establishing our first web site, searching and figuring out what is needed. This weblog caught out right away. I’m fired up about this, and adore the design of your site. Are you able to let me know what “theme” it's?

5:35 PM  
Anonymous blemish balm said...

After reading this posting, I contemplated the very same level that I invariably wonder about when scanning new blogs and forums. Just what do I take into consideration this? Precisely how ought to it impact me? This and extra posts in your weblog right here definitely give some stuff to look at. I essentially ended up here by means of Yahoo after I was very first performing some web research for some course perform that I have. All the time very good occasions shopping by means of and I’m hopeful that you'll carry on writing new posts. Cheers!

5:36 PM  
Anonymous what is acid reflux said...

As looking out for quite a while for finding a useful articles or blog posts with reference to this distinctive challenge . Researching in Google I lastly came upon this weblog post. Studying this So i'm pleased to say that I’ve received a great impression I came throughout whatever I wanted. I most certainly will be sure you bear in mind this weblog and look constantly.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous curing genital warts said...

After studying this posting, I pondered the very same level that I invariably surprise about when scanning new blogs and forums. Simply what do I think about this? Exactly how should it impact me? This and additional posts in your weblog proper right here actually give some stuff to look at. I fundamentally ended up right here by means of Yahoo once I was very first doing a little web examine for some course perform that I have. Always excellent times browsing via and I’m hopeful that you will carry on writing new posts. Cheers!

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

I chanced upon to view your blog and found it very interesting. Great ... Keep it up!

3:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks a lot for this time sharing of innovation about CHOOSING THE PACE OF INNOVATION. This is really the best website about innovation i have ever read.
stop pre ejaculation

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home