Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Context is King

When you closely consider any important business function, it's fairly clear that most people within the function or process understand their roles and responsibilities. Since many business processes are based on consistent, repeatable transactions, it becomes easy to move up the learning curve and gain a deep understanding about how a process works and how it can be improved.

Innovation, however, doesn't work this way, for at least two reasons. First, in most firms there simply isn't a defined, consistent process for innovation. Frankly, in most firms, people simply invent an approach once they think they have a winning idea. That's not optimal but can be overcome. But what's really interesting is the second issue with innovation - context.

If I am part of the purchasing process, I don't need any context. I know that a requisition needs to be changed into a purchase order and placed with a vendor. Transactional processes have their context embedded in them. Innovation, on the other hand, needs to attach context to every idea or concept. The reason this is true is that an idea tends to be very fluid, and without context may be hard to evaluate or even consider.

This is one of the key reasons why suggestion boxes fail. People will place ideas in a suggestion box, but unless they define the context of the idea closely, it can be difficult if not impossible to evaluate the ideas. Additionally, if the idea isn't aligned with the needs of the firm or the corporate strategy, (also context) it will probably be ignored. Once an idea is generated, if other people are to consider, evaluate, prototype or test an idea, they need to understand the context of the idea - what problem it solves or opportunity it addresses, how it will be applied, its benefits and costs. Without this information, an idea is simply too disconnected to adequately consider, evaluate and convert into a new product or service.

Context comes in several dimensions. First, addressing the problem to be solved or opportunity to be addressed. Second, comparing the idea to existing solutions or proposed solutions. Third, finding teams or functions that can approve and adopt the idea. Fourth, determining the value of the idea. In a traditional transactional process, an individual doesn't need to consider these concepts. In an innovation process, context becomes the most important arbiter of success.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Jeffrey Phillips at 5:01 AM

19 Comments:

Blogger James Todhunter said...

Hello Jeffery,

You are spot on about the importance of conext for innovation. I just got back from a two day working conference focused on innovation. A recurring theme was that one of the attributes of innovation is that it must generate value.

But, value is a highly subject thing. The frame of reference from which one considers a concept will influence the value perception. This is where context becomes pivotal. Unless all participants in the innovation value chain are aligned around a common understanding of the situational context, failure is almost a certainty.

When the goals of the customer, the enterprise, and the innovation worker are in sync, the innovation outcome will deliver value to both the customer and the enterprise.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Greald said...

Dear Jeffrey,
I think we are very close in our thinking.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Inversiones en petroleo said...

Hello, i would like to know more about this topic because i think that could help me in personal projects.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Invertir en oro said...

I think that this post is very good, i would like to read more information about this topic.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous tendonitis exercise said...

I was questioning what is up with that weird gravatar??? I do know 5am is early and I’m not looking my best at that hour, but I hope I don’t look like this! I would nonetheless make that face if I’m requested to do 100 pushups. lol

11:46 PM  
Anonymous diabetes symptoms said...

I was questioning what is up with that weird gravatar??? I do know 5am is early and I’m not looking my best at that hour, but I hope I don’t look like this! I would nonetheless make that face if I’m requested to do 100 pushups. lol

11:46 PM  
Anonymous erectile dysfunction remedy said...

Hey - nice weblog, just wanting round some blogs, seems a fairly good platform you might be using. I’m at present using WordPress for just a few of my websites however seeking to change one of them over to a platform much like yours as a trial run. Something specifically you'll suggest about it?

11:47 PM  
Anonymous depression treatment said...

I used to be questioning what is up with that weird gravatar??? I do know 5am is early and I’m not wanting my finest at that hour, however I hope I don’t appear like this! I would nevertheless make that face if I’m asked to do a hundred pushups. lol

11:47 PM  
Anonymous server lower back pain said...

Congratulations for the outstanding weblog posting! I found your submit really interesting, I feel you’re a clever writer. I add in your blog to my bookmarks and can return inside the long term. I wish to inspire you to continue that marvelous operate, have a good day!

11:47 PM  
Anonymous insomnia cures said...

I'm not an skilled about this matter, however once learning your weblog put up, my understanding has improved extensively. Please enable me to getting your rss feed to communicate with any future updates. Good work and can cross via to my buddies as well as my web page audience.

11:47 PM  
Anonymous eczema cream said...

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get four emails with the identical comment. Is there any manner you'll be able to remove me from that service? Thanks

11:47 PM  
Anonymous penis enlargement videos said...

I like your format, the fact that your webpage is definitely a tad bit unique makes it so useful, I get fully fed up of viewing the identical stuff nearly all of the time. I’ve I simply chanced on this website by you Thanks a lot.

11:47 PM  
Anonymous rheumatoid arthritis cure said...

Thanks very a lot for this flawless submit;this is the phrases that retains me on observe by means of out the day. I've been wanting round in your site after I heard about them from a buddy and was thrilled after I was capable of finding it after looking for lengthy time. Being a avid blogger, I’m glad to see others taking initivative and contributing to the community. Simply needed to comment to show my appreciation for your web site as it is rather challenging to do, and plenty of writers do not get credit they deserve. I am positive I’ll go to once more and can spread the word to my friends.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous depression drugs said...

I want to thank you for the efforts you will have made in scripting this article. I'm hoping the identical greatest work from you in the future as well. Actually your inventive writing talents has inspired me to begin my very own BlogEngine weblog now. Really the running a blog is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a advantageous example of it.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous premature ejaculation control said...

I’ve read a number of the content articles in your website now, and I absolutely like your fashion of website. I included it to my favorites website listing and must be coming back quickly. Bear in mind to take a look at my web site too and inform me what you think.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous eczema treatment said...

Hi, I was looking through the website looking for some information and arrived by way of your weblog. I am amazed by the data that you've on this site. It exhibits how nicely you comprehend this subject. Saved this internet page, ought to come again again for lengthy term. You, my friend, ROCK!!!

11:48 PM  
Anonymous anxiety attacks treatment said...

Greetings everybody, This webpage is superb and so is how the matter was expanded. I like some of the feedback as effectively though I would favor all of us preserve it on topic in order add value to the subject. It will likely be also encouraging to the writer if all of us might share it (for a few of us who use bookmarking providers akin to a digg, twitter,..).

11:49 PM  
Anonymous inversiones en oro said...

Hello, i would like to read more about this interesting topic, i think that it has good information, besides, this post help in a personal project

9:55 AM  
Anonymous stop pre ejaculation said...

Thanks a lot for this time sharing of innovation about CONTEXT IS KING. This is really the best website about innovation i have ever read.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home